Saturday, February 10, 2007

Stately Elegance


I figured it was high time to figure how to post a pic or two.

This image was captured at the Arkansas state capital building. When I first looked at this scene I was attracted to the lighting. I setup and took the photo with a 300D and Sigma 12-24 at 24mm. When I went to process the photo there were strong flares and I initially felt it wasn't worth mucking with. Still, I went back later and tried a B&W conversion to see if it would quell the flares any.

Lo and behold, not only were the flares effectively masked, but it really brought out all the strong textures in the woodgrain. It wound up being my favorite shot of the day.

I'm still not fond of the way the indoor lighting caused the spot in the center. It looked all wrong when I tried to mask it, and cropping it out spoiled it altogether. Still, it makes for a pretty print, imo, spot and all.

'06 was a rather lean year for me photographically. I spent more time building a new mini-view camera rig than I did taking photos. This year I hope to put the new rig to good use, I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

1 comment:

Ted said...

Whoa! Okay, visited your website and watched the Big-Rig project. As a singularly UN-handy guy, I am awed by someone who will drill through lens caps and rig bi-camera mounts to make lenses swing both ways... In fact swing across platforms as well as planes.

But I am also, as you commented about yourself, daunted by the heft of a weighty kit. Your new apparatus looks, um, not spontaneous. Not that that's a bad thing. But it tends to make picture taking an event, actually the event.

Odd how our gearheads become bifurcated... one side wants to become the invisible observer, candidly revealing - reality through our mental filters. That sort of gear needs to be flexible, and opaque as onion skin.

And yet, another piece of our heads wants to explore equipment which will do more than capture a moment.. in fact which will sculpt it. Manipulate... no... (hate that word)... enhance it in ways which squeeze, poke, twist, tug, and pull at dimensions, color, shape, form and texture over a swatch of real time to reveal ideosyncratic interpretations.

We also want gear which makes reality as plastic as PP does to the spontaneous image in post processing. Like "The New Woman" (who was avant a couple of generations back)... we expect that we can have pre and post processing. Without compromise.... Um... NOT!

I'm enjoying watching you wrestle with compromises... but I'm hungry for the product. Oddly I expect that the direction you are taking with your gear, coupled with your discomfort over the life-intrusion of a hefty kit, will limit your production... but will enhance the quality even as it limits the quantity.

But wuhdoIknow, eh?

Thanks for sharing...

Ted
http://imagefiction.blogspot.com
http://homepage.mac.com/byrneprintmaker