Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Last One


As I've often mentioned through this blog, it has been a good while since I put in any serious time behind the lens. I have missed it, but have felt somewhat stifled by any number of factors that made '06 a difficult but rewarding year. But enough of that. I'm ready to roll.

Today's image is an old one. The last one rendered in color that I liked from the get go. Most everything else I've been marginally satisfied with through the whole of '06 wound up in black and white. Not sure why. In any case, I actually captured this pear in late '05 and presented a similar print to my Mother for Christmas that year. I still consider it one of the best prints I have managed to produce, it has a wonderful texture and richness. The title for this image, even then, was "The Last One."

The pear was the last of a batch given to me by a friend, and they were exceptionally delicious. In fact, the best pears I have ever tasted. The image was taken with a home-made lens baby, of sorts. It was actually a rather ugly combination of duct tape, an old extension tube, and an 80mm CZJ biometar. Through using it you can impart a painterly quality to the image that I have always found pleasing.

I'm hoping to move in this direction again very soon.

2 comments:

Ted said...

I'd be just as happy not having you return to photography. Rest on yourlaurels please. There's really no need for you to be...be... showing us all up with images that can't be improved upon. With colors that are simultaneously classic and at the edge of what pixilated monitors can render. No.. and frankly we working photo artists don't need to have someone creating minimalist moods with wood and shadow that combine both texture and form to evoke nostalgia so powerfully that it makes me gasp.

And we really don't want you showing off how to get large format effects from tape and wire held together by... by... spit.

It's not fair. You are fine in retirement. Yea...yea... retirement's a good thing. I've gottit... Howzabout chess? Huh? Now there's a challenge ... and... and... in just ten or fifteen years of obsessive application of every free moment, you will get good. Really really really good at something else.

AAARGH!

Ted
http://imagefiction.blogspot.com
http://homepage.mac.com/byrneprintmaker/

Andreas said...

I really have the impression Ted wants to see more of this :)

So do I.

Andreas