Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chained Justice


I spent the day as a juror in civil court yesterday and was presented the opportunity for this capture as I passed the time out front during recess. I knew at once that it would likely get a black and white treatment and in this I was not disappointed. It came out so much like I imagined that I was utterly pleased with myself. It's one of the few black and white images that have lived up to my expectations, my vision, before the shutter was even tripped. And as an artist that has been struggling with monochrome, this is cause enough for celebration.

Also of significance, at least to me, is that I did not capture this image with my DSLR. It was done with my lowly little Canon S30, an aging 3mp camera that is still quite capable of stunning me with the quality and depth and of its captures.

2 comments:

Ted said...

I want to imagine this is an elaborate ancient church door. With a cheap, effective lock on the outside. Now, what story explains someone bicycle chaining a church door? And what emotional rift deep in our culture would explain relatively penurious outsiders chaining the churches shut? And whether the solemnity of the monochrome portends that it is a good thing or bad thing.

And whether you know the answer, or just how to ask the question?

Thoughtful work, and yeah... great tonal range in an intricately detailed capture.

Ted
http://imagefiction.blogspot.com
http://homepage.mac.com/byrneprintmaker

John M. Setzler, Jr. said...

You know it's not about the camera :)