Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Camera? I don't need no stinking camera....

In an earlier post I billed myself as a "part-time photographer," and this is true. I have the equipment but often don't make the use of it that I probably should.

So what.

I was keen observer of the world before I ever picked up a camera. In fact, I didn't purchase an SLR until I was the ripe old age of 20. It was a purchase made, in part, to try and record some of the natural beauty I was experiencing on my nearly weekly sojourns into the Ozark mountains. Another part of me just wanted something new to fiddle with, and a 1967 vintage Nikon F filled the bill nicely. The camera was nearly as old as I was when I made the purchase.

Problems quickly ensued. The F, though a wonderful camera in many respects... fully manual, built like a tank, just plain cool to look at, also weighed about 10 pounds when the 85mm f1.8 lens that came with it was attached. Not to mention the fact that the 85mm lens was not the most ideal choice for landscapes. So I picked up nice second-hand 35mm f2 lens. It worked better for landscapes, but still didn't bring down the crushing weight of the F by much, especially since I now felt utterly compelled to bring both lenses along! Add a tripod to the mix and my weekly outings became rather encumbered with gear. Not fun.

So very soon I learned that, on some trips, the camera would be staying at home. This is when I began to wax philosophical about not having the camera with me for every outing. I told myself then, and have even grown to believe, that, at times, a camera can actually impugn ones deeply personal connection with all things of natural beauty.

Having the camera was great, but not having it became no big deal. (It no doubt helped that after going through my first several dozen rolls of film I had produced only one or two images that I felt had any merit whatsoever.)

Eventually I purchased a newer, much lighter camera and lenses, but even then I kept the bag at home on some trips. On others I'd have the bag, but the camera might never come out of it.

I got in the habit of pausing over scenes that interested me. I would size them up and make a decision on how well I thought I would be able to capture it photographically before making the effort. Along the way I learned not to worry so much about the photograph, and concentrate first on enjoying the moment.

It works for me.

2 comments:

Ted said...

Yesssss! The tail-dog cunnundrum. How to enjoy the moment now, and to still enjoy it... then? How to turn the enjoyable moment into more enjoyable moments of a different sort? How to store parts of the moment away for more careful enjoyment of its unexplored parts later? Oh... and how to express emotions and ideas about the moment to communicate them to others through... well... art?

As you pull that bag over your shoulder you wonder, "What am I going there for?" As the act of examining the moment - changes it for you when you need apparatus to examine it pulls you into somesort of bizarre quantum physics moment... You decide... "I shall limit my examination of moments." But then, weeks later, you realize how important it might be to have some freeze of those moments pinned - butterfly like - to your life board.

I have gone through all of that. And I have whilred along roller coaster cylcles of reactions. Presently I'm in the "carry the damned thing" mode, as I watch the sand drop into the hourglass bottom and realize that I'd like to hold onto more of the grains than I used to. Particularly as age is hyper-gnarling at my granular memory.

Thanks for sharing... great Blog.

Ted

http://homepage.mac.com/byrneprintmaker/
http://imagefiction.blogspot.com

Andreas said...

Basically I'm with Ted. I have spent holidays with and without camera, and those without are mostly gone.

Not all of them. I've been three times at Corsica, five time in Rome, and these have left their traces, but from the other travels to destinations where I have been only once, I remember what I have taken photos of. But probably it is only I. I sure am a very visual type of person.

Andreas