Friday, January 12, 2007

The part-time photographer

That's me, the part-time photographer.

I have a pretty good assortment of camera lenses and a good DSLR but I rarely take up the opportunity to use them these days. Still, I do think about photography a lot, like all the time, usually trying to come up with a suitable project to work on next. Part of me understands that this is just a game I am playing with myself, that the real reason I don't pick up the camera more often isn't for lack of dedication to a particular project, it's laziness. Knowing this, however, doesn't seem to help much.

It might be different, I suppose, if I was depending on this hobby to generate any real income; but I'm not, and I prefer to keep it that way. No financial pressure keeps my efforts anchored to being just a hobby, and allows me the freedom to pursue it or ignore it as I see fit. I do charge a modest amount for portrait services and sell the occasional print, but I do the work more for kicks than to try and turn a buck.

Part of my problem is simply lack of focus (no pun intended). I first picked up a camera to shoot landscapes as a relatively carefree college student that spent a large amount of free time in the woods. Few of my pics back then were that great, but I knew what trying to accomplish, even if I didn't hit the mark that often.

These days my interests have shifted considerably. I rarely bother to get out and capture landscapes anymore, and I'm finding that I like getting people in the picture more and more. Either in portraits or simply as another element of the composition. I also enjoy taking still life images, especially food (not sure why, exactly, but I love the shallow DOF effect in the best food photography), and I still shoot the occasional urban landscape. Most recently I found that I like shooting live music shows as well.

Whatever to pursue with this eclectic mix swirling around in my head?

Frankly, I have no idea. But I do know I'm looking forward to this new year in hopes that I will find some direction. Something that will get me excited about shooting again.

No comments: