Sunday, November 18, 2007

Dealing with Flare


The Zenitar 16mm is not the kindest lens with regards to flare. In fact, as you can see in today's photo, it's pretty bad. As a rule I try to accept flare and work with it when I can. After all, it's a natural part of the photographic process, so why fight it? Besides, all those funky little spots intrigue me. And sometimes I think they can look pretty cool.

This image shows another arroyo, this time looking down towards the Colorado river. Its another HDR that has had more cosmetic work done on it than Phyllis Diller, including the addition of grain and lots of selective sharpening. (and a little blurring in the background)

This is the last shot I'll be sharing from the White Rim Road. It was taken the morning we drove out and the next stop will be an image from the Needles section of Canyonlands.

4 comments:

Ted said...

YESSSS! the aspherical aberrations are waaaaaay cool! They take the eye on a slide ride across the most important parts of the image. And they don't look unnatural. I think that's because we have them in our own eye lenses and our brain blots them out. Hmmmm... I wonder what other ghosts the brain blots out? What it refuses to let us see... or hear, feel, and taste? Now that would make for a good story, eh?

This image just tugs me along I particularly linger on the rim and then clime the aberrations right back up to that diamond in the sky. Wonderful. You are a a master, Dude!

Ted

Debra Trean said...

I love your reference to phylis diller I remember her !!! Use to go to school with a relative of hers and he was the guy who ran his head into lockers LOL...grins... a huge grin...

I get sun glare too and I too think it works in many images.

I love what ted said too his words just drip huh....

very nice work!

mcmurma said...

Thx Ted, you flatter me:) I had never considered that our own lensing systems might be prone to some of the same issues. But I suppose there are more similarities in the way they actually work than differences.

And Pnf, I actually had a friend that knew a guy who talked and socialized with Phyllis on a regular basis. In fact, one the one occasion when I visited this friend of a friend (we only dropped in for a few minutes) Phyllis happened to call while I was there! I thought that was kinda cool cause I have always liked her work. She is one of those characters that is hard to forget once she's in your head.

Andreas said...

Yes, as lenses go, that's pretty bad, and it does not distract at all. It becomes part of the composition.

I think we accept them, not because our own eyes have them (I don't think so, but I may be wrong), no, it's because they are a photographic cliché. They were with us through all the history of photography, and that is much longer than anyone of us can remember. It goes so far, that even in non-photographic media like computer games, sun-flares are emulated. We don't see them in nature, but we expect them in imagery.

Andreas