Friday, June 15, 2007

Implied Depth


The image presented here is from this spring. A friend of mine purchased this new FJ last year and then waitied patiently for it to make the trip here. Of course, when it arrived it wasn't equipped the way it was supposed to be, but he was happy with it.

I blurred the edges a bit to give the vehicle more pop, and it makes a rather nice portrait... for a truck. Not sure what the appeal of this image is. I think for me it's FJ envy, even though I wouldn't buy one even if I had the money. I'd probably be more inclined to by an old International Harvester Scout instead, which the FJ reminded me of quite a bit.

1 comment:

Ted said...

I am auto-illiterate (Hmmmm.... that sounds like some sort of interesting disease now that I reread it). Meaning that car info doesn't seem to stick in my vehicle-dyslexic mental warehousing system. Wait, I wonder if a man dare admit that? Isn't a passion for motorized stuff supposed to be hard wired to our chromosomatic mix?

Well, truth is they are hard for me to keep straight. So when you pull out an image of this thingee... it seems totally novel. With nothing then to compare it to, how to cope with the image?

OK... try this. This subject seems to growl. It's a deep throaty growl, kind of a warning thing that says, "Careful Buster. No closer. Turn around now or.... I EAT YOUR BUTT!"

No the overall image is not menacing, in fact it is sort of contrapuntal... The beast seems to be sitting in an engaging bush... somewhere in the outback where sensible people might go. Until they come upon something that's quietly snarling.

Which is when people like me – go home.