Monday, January 7, 2008

The Black Canyon


It's time for my first post of the new year and I'm almost ashamed to not be posting something new. As you know I have grown rather weary of mucking through the Utah images, so I'm offering up a few from the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado.

I only dropped by the Black Canyon for one night before flying out. My companions, though, had spent several days hiking and camping in the canyon prior to picking me up for the trip to Utah. (Nothing like getting picked up at the Montrose airport by a pair of four-day-in-the-canyon, unshowered and unshaven adventure partners.) So while I didn't get to have a "real" inner canyon experience, I did get s small taste of it at the East Portal campground.

The first image is a view of the canyon from one of the many scenic overlooks. The other two are a before and after set. Sort of a photo essay of our dinner that night, smokey trout. It took four hours to cook them over our open fire, but it was worth the wait. I can honestly say I've never tasted anything quite like it.

My companions tell me the trout tastes even better from deep within the canyon... after you have hiked in. Maybe next time.

3 comments:

Debra Trean said...

Beautiful images and it sounds like you all had fun!! The vision of the friends in the airport amused me as the mother of two sons who have returned from events such as this and I more than understand LOL

Andreas said...

That's a wonderful landscape image and I like the diagonal and the letter "Z" it creates. Absolutely outstanding, with beautiful tonality.

WoW!

Ted said...

Picture Number 1: You have documented their scandal. These people have a serious water erosion problem. have they not paid attention to the Clean Water Act? Are they insensitive to drain-off? You have revealed their aquatic insensitivity and quite frankly, your keen photo journalistic eye makes it clear that something must be done. How long has this been going on? Are they totally insensitive to Washington legislation that bans this sort of thing? I am livid. Who to contact? Send your pictures to... to... Al Gore... Yess.... with his Nobel Prize for some sort of scientific nature thing, he must be scientist enough to stop this obvious tampering with the environment. Right? Right? Right?

BTW all three are wonderful captures. You have a terrific eye. I'm particularly fascinated by the color of the rock in image #1. It is so different from the deep holes around the Grand Canyon. Nature is a persevering gal, eh?