Saturday, December 15, 2007

Arches Part Two


As our afternoon at Arches wore on it became increasingly evident that we were going to get some rain, the only question was how much? The wind was blowing fiercely as we scrambled through the park to take in as many locations as we could before the storms hit. In fact, I can't even recall exactly where we were when I took some of these images.

I believe the first image was taken near the Cove of Caves area, but I couldn't swear to it. I took dozens of shots of this scene trying to get one where the wind wasn't moving the brush too badly, but it was impossible. This was one of the few images where the wind effects weren't too bad. (In my previous post Ted noted that one of the images was over-sharpened. Can't argue with that, it was. I hope this is not as bad, but I suspect it may be a bit oversharp as well.)

The next shot was one that I was seeing in black and white even as I took it. There was so little color present in the original that using monochrome wasn't much a stretch. Besides, there was a parking lot in the foreground and I couldn't see any good way to blend it into this scene:)

The last shot is one of Balanced Rock. There was very little light actually on the rocks, so it made sense to treat them in silhouette. Also, the color is a bit fanciful. (As if you couldn't tell!)

The next stop will be a few shots from the Islands in the Sky area of Canyonlands. It's a wonderful drive that gave us an opportunity to look down upon the White Rim Road that we had taken earlier in the week.

4 comments:

Ted said...

These are all evocative... but number one... is... is... Okay, the word is overused and surely I can do better, but..."WOW!"

It's not so much panorama or vista as it is a still life as if you carefully arranged each of the items like someone might pose apples and pears in a bowl.

It really works.

Debra Trean said...

hey... need your email address...

Deb....

and yessss these are amazing!!!

Ted said...

Dear Santa,

Please let Michael do more blogging soon. And it'd be particularly cool if he posted weekly, daily, or hourly. He has one of the best photographic eyes among the nation's amateurs but he hoards it claiming that the real world prohibits him from spending endless hours informing/challenging and/or provoking us with his images and words.

So in closing... I want more McMurma in my Christmas stocking... Or else.... Got that FatMan????

Ted

Debra Trean said...

ted - he is not listening....lol... grins... where is he??????

Happy New Year !!!