Saturday, October 27, 2007

Labyrinth Canyon



Todays image is another from the Labyrinth camp, this one taken at sunset. I must have taken a dozen or more different compositions of this same basic scene. Some with a crescent moon that was rising just left of the frame, some without moon, with tent, without tent, etc....

What I like about this one is the inclusion of the tent. It was the only tent shot that worked, but for me it works well. There is something about the human element that seems to ground everything. It lends it a sense of scale and contrasts nicely with the geological layers.

This is an HDR image. Three RAWs worked to TIFFs before merging in Photomatix. Sometimes it seems to work better that way. Other times working straight from the RAWs seems to work better. You just never know.

5 comments:

Andreas said...

Mmmm! Well done.

When working with Photomatix, I normally don't work from RAW. I simply use the JPEGs (I always shoot RAW+JPEG Fine) and it works well enough. The only reason to go to JPEG would be, if I had to radically change the color temperature. Do you have different experiences?

mcmurma said...

Thx Andreas,

I sometimes convert to TIFF just to vary the exposure a bit or to do noise reduction before tonemapping. Most times its not necessary, but sometimes it seems to help.

Andreas said...

I see. Well, I think at least regarding noise there is no need to worry. As noise is a stochastic phenomenon, I am sure it is quite effectively canceled by the merger of three or more images.

Ted said...

Never been camping. What's that 'tent' thing do? Is it like a trap or something?

Debra Trean said...

This looks like one peaceful place and it looks a lot like my own area. I also like the way you composed this image as it draws my eye deep into the image.