Monday, September 10, 2007

Of logs and blogs


Today's image is an oldie. I took the shot some several years ago while visiting my aunt and uncles cabin.

There a week left yet before I embark upon my "great adventure." Some may see it as a trip to the desert filled with little more than lizards, rocks, and canyons, but for me it stands out as one of those "adventures-of-a-lifetime". A phrase whose very meaning has become suspect of late.

Now, I've had my fair share of adventures by some folks standards. I've floated rivers, hiked and climbed in high mountain places, probed the depths of many of Arkansas' wild cave systems, and a few other things along these lines. Nothing too outrageous, though. And I'm sure many, if not most, other adventurers would view the things I have done as being completely pedestrian. I'd have to agree.

My point is, though, that the most recent of these trips was some 15 years in the past. And like it or not, years make a difference.

I keep telling myself I'm not too old for this kind of crap. Not yet. I can do it. And it's all about the desire. After all, if you want a thing badly enough, you can get it... despite the condition you may be in.

Heck, it's even been awhile since I so much as curled up in a tarp under the stars without a tent for protection. 20 years, perhaps? I can't recall the date. Fortunately, though, it wasn't so long ago that I forget what it's like.

I hope I never do.

PS. Almost forgot. I plan to blog out my trip a few posts at a time once I return. Should be fun.

2 comments:

Ted said...

Hmmmm... yeah, Great Adventures. I'd like to do one by cramming, all into one trip, stays in the most exquisite luxury hotel rooms on earth. Sleeps in the softest beds, eats at the most decadent tables, listens to the most intricately sensitive musicians, discussions with minds that are so exciting that only the best wines will make them more trenchant.

Yep, I share your desire to do a GA... And, like you, I fear that my age just might bump up against the richness of the cuisine, the indolence of the poolside masseurs, the nuance of the ephipany-inducing insight... Yes, we share a concern. But, if you do yours, I shall try - as unpleasant is it may sound - to force mine upon my aging body.

As usual, your image rocks. I want to go somewhere to bath in a lot of your work all in one place MIcheal. You need to indulge us by not being so stingy with its display. More! More! (The crowd is chanting.... ).

Andreas said...

Funny, I come to your blog regularly and don't comment very often. It's probably because the images are incredibly quiet, contemplative, the images of someone who takes his time. They appeal to me and don't make me want to talk about them at the same time. In their perfection is usually no point for any critique, and they have a very determined aura of being finished. But most of all these images have something incredibly private.

But I keep watching.